If you believe everything you see in modern pop culture, you’d think all weed will get you passive, stoned and grinning like an idiot.
We all know that is not the case and that different species have disparate effects. In picking the right strain we extensively elaborate on this.
In this article, I want to focus specifically on the miraculous, uplifting effects of the Sativa species.
And, therewith, debunk the common misconception that all marijuana will leave you in a phlegmatic couchlock.
But above all, finding the Best Sativa Strains.
- Invigoration high
- Great flavor
- Can be challenging for novice growers
- Dry mouth
Buy Amnesia Haze
- Uplifting, energizing effect
- Helps to sleep better
- Requires more advanced growing skills
- Can make you a little dizzy
Buy Blue Dream
- Powerful cerebral invigoration
- Easy to grow
- Peculiar taste
Buy Green Revolution
- Provides lots of energy
- Easy to grow
- Cotton mouth
Buy Power Plant
- Introduction to Sativas
- Mind invigoration vs. body relaxation
- Who might benefit from Sativas?
- How to choose the best Sativa strains?
- The best sativa strains [reviews]
- Green Revolution feminized review
- Blue Dream feminized review
- Amnesia Haze feminized
- Power Plant feminized review
- Final thoughts about the best Sativa strains in this list
Introduction to Sativas
Swedish botanist Carl Linnaeus first encountered the species in 1753.
Linnaeus, also called “the father of modern taxonomy" named the species “Sativa” which literally means “things that are cultivated”.
Its’ appearance characterized by longer, narrower leaves and they tend to grow a lot taller than their Indica counterparts.
Mind Invigoration vs. Body Relaxation
The most renowned characteristic of Sativa is the abundant presence of the psychoactive component THC. THC is the very substance that gets you that desired “high”.
Sativa’s are the perfect species for social occasions. They generally contain higher levels of THC (that primary psychotropic component in marijuana).
Sativa-dominant strains ensure an uplifting high and energizing effect. They promote energy that will make you social, talkative and in the mood to dance the night away.
Aside from their invigorating effects, I personally like how Sativa-(dominant) weed offers an awesome balance between cerebral stimulation and physical alleviation.
Who might benefit from Sativas?
As previously mentioned, Sativas are great for socializing. But I wouldn’t do her justice if I merely described her as a party weed when she has so much more to offer. If you are suffering from the following ailments, you might benefit from lighting up a Sativa.
- Depression: Now depression is a serious condition and first and foremost I would advise you to consult a physician. However, there have been documented cases where people did benefit from Sativa’s mood-enhancing properties. The elevated mood is one of the top Sativa effects people said they experienced when using this species.
- Fatigue: Feeling drained and worn out by your busy job, the kids or just everyday life in general? Another commonly reported effect of Sativa is that it increases energy levels and promotes productivity. So, if you need a little pick me up, Sativa might be the answer to your prayers.
- Lack of appetite: While this attribute is not limited to the Sativa species, several scientific publications have alluded to the idea that the medical effects of Sativa strains include appetite enhancement.
- Low libido: Now this is a rather bold statement since it might not work for everyone. But, I did a little research on the subject and found that, in some cases, implementing a little Sativa into your sex life will have a favorable effect on (re-)igniting that spark in the bedroom.
How to Choose the Best Sativa Strains?
Determining the best Sativa strains primarily depends on your personal preferences. I for one am quite fond of Sativa-dominant weed that helps me to stay focused on creative, positive thoughts without any anxiety or paranoia, all the while managing my stress and fatigue.
When you select your perfect strain, you want it to taste and smell nice too.
And given that most of your time and effort is in cultivating, a reasonable grow convenience as well as an okay growth period both indoors and outdoors should be feasible as well.
I focussed on 4 main factors when selecting the best Sativa weed.
- Type of high: the balance between body and mind high. To clarify things I’ve found this interesting video about the effects of weed on your brain.
- Flavor and aroma: Very subjective to personal taste. I prefer fresh, citrus and spicy flavors.
- Yield: While quality over quantity is my go-to attitude, I did take the harvest volumes for both in-and outdoor as well as the duration of the flowering cycle into account.
- Growing difficulty: involves advanced growing skills and knowledge, experience, available growing area as well as essential tools and/or grow supplies.
Let’s recap: For my best Sativa strain I want to harvest sweet-smelling buds that taste divine within a reasonable time frame. And, to conclude this humble list of demands, I want to grow them without too much fuss.
To help you out, I've already done the preliminary work and picked 4 of the best Sativa strains that I've recently tested and met all the requirements mentioned above.
Green Revolution Feminized review
This weed is a Sativa-dominant strain with 2% CBD and 23% THC. Also, its Sativa and Indica concentrations are 80 and 20%, respectively.
Growing outdoors I got an average of 950 Gr. / 34 Oz. per m2/ 11ft2 from my Green Revolution (feminized) plants. Each grew almost 300 cm/ 118 inch tall, so I put in 1 plant on each m2/ 11ft2. It took a little more than 9 weeks for the buds to mature, but when I tried putting 2 plants per m2/ 11ft2, it took almost 11 weeks.
I tested the Green Revolution again, this time indoors. Each of my indoor plants grew to a little over 150 cm/ 59 inch tall. I was able to harvest 550 Gr. / 19 Oz. of big, earthy-smelling buds from 6 plants per m2/ 11ft2. This was after about 10 weeks.
The sprouts of the Green Revolution have to remain in its potting soil across the first 18-day period. And they were ready to flower after this, so I replanted them. Essentially, I found it simple to grow this strain indoors and outdoors.
- Type of High: Green Revolution gives me powerful cerebral invigoration for the first half-hour or so, which then gradually mellows down as the relaxing effects on the body set in. The mind high, fortunately, wasn't too overwhelming that I, who's slightly prone to anxiety, felt uncomfortable or too out of it. Instead, I managed to stay tranquil and focussed at the same time. Once the body high kicked in, I felt really laid back. My fatigue and stress rapidly disappeared, after which I, inevitably, got the munchies.
- Taste & Smell: The buds of the Green Revolution smell earthy and a little pungent. But it has a mild citrusy aftertaste, which I start to detect after tasting a hint of garlic flavor right after I toke. Luckily this garlic taste didn't affect my breath in any way.
- Indoor & Outdoor Yield: Getting around 950 grams/ 34 Oz. per m2/ 11ft2 outdoor and 550 grams/ 19 Oz. indoors is a good deal for me. Especially since the flowering cycle and harvest time take approximately 9 to 11 weeks, which tends to be the average of the strains on this list.
- Growing Difficulty: Aside from having to replant the Green Revolution after the first 18 days as it prepares to flower, I find this strain quite quick and easy to grow both indoors and outdoors.
I wasn't overly fond of Green Revolution's garlic flavors, even if it has a citrusy aftertaste. Anyways, I still very much enjoyed mind and body high balance.
Powerful cerebral invigoration
Easy to grow
Blue Dream Feminized review
Blue Dream is a cross between Blueberry Sativa and New York City Diesel. It has 2.5% CBD and 23% THC.
I first tested Blue Dream (feminized) outdoors and got around 800 Gr. / 28 Oz. from each m2/ 11ft2. My plants each grew to nearly 300 cm/ 118 inch tall, so I just put in 1 plant per m2/ 11ft2. The flowering period was on average 8 to 10 weeks.
Next, I proceeded to try this strain indoors. Each of my plants grew to a little over 1 meter/ 40 inch tall. I got around 550 Gr. / 19 Oz. of fruity-smelling buds per m2/ 11ft2. I was able to harvest them after 9 weeks of flowering.
As for its Sativa and Indica ratio, this weed consists of 65% Sativa and 35% Indica. I did find this strain to be a little more difficult to grow than, for instance, the Green Revolution and the others in this review.
- Type of High: I got a milder mind high from Blue Dream than I usually get when I smoke, for instance, Green Revolution. This is quite beautiful as I felt focused without feeling anxious or worried. As for its body relaxation effects, Blue Dream gave me a stronger body high than the others on this list. This was enough to help me sleep much better, especially after a hard day at work.
- Taste & Smell: Blue Dream has a fresh blueberry aroma and a sweet flavor with a hint of fruitiness, and an herbal aftertaste that I really like. Also, its buds smell as fresh and good.
- Indoor & Outdoor Yield: I find Blue Dream's 800 Gr. / 28 Oz. outdoor and 550 Gr. / 19 Oz. indoor yield per square meter to be quite fair for the time and effort that I put into growing this Sativa-dominant strain. Especially since harvest time is after 8 to 10 weeks, which is a little better than the flowering cycle of the others.
- Growing Difficulty: Moderate gardening knowledge and experience are required to grow this strain indoors and outdoors without issues. But that shouldn't stop novice growers from giving it a chance as you're likely to get the hang of it as soon as you start growing your first batch of plants.
Some might find this strain a little more expensive than the others on this list. I for one wasn't too fond of the growing experience and gardening knowledge required when I started to grow this weed. But everything for me is balanced out by its flavor and aroma together with its mind and body high combination, along with its brief flowering cycle.
Uplifting, energizing effect
Helps to sleep better
Can make you a little dizzy
Requires more advanced growing skills
Amnesia Haze Feminized review
This Sativa-dominant strain has 2% CBD and 23% THC. Meanwhile, its Sativa and Indica concentrations are 80 and 20%, respectively.
Throughout the years, Amnesia Haze has won several relevant awards. This includes the 2004 Cannabis Cup and the 2012 Sativa Cup. This strain won first prize in both instances.
I first planted Amnesia Haze (feminized) outdoors. I put 3 plants on 1 M2/ 11ft2, that all grew around 150 cm/ 59 inch tall. After approximately 10 weeks, I got 800 Gr./ 28 Oz. of earthy-smelling buds with a hint of sweet aroma. But when I put in 2 plants on the M2/ 11ft2, the harvest time with the same yield only took a little more than 9 weeks.
I also tried growing this strain indoors. I put in 8 plants on 1 M2/ 11ft2 and each of my plants only grew 80 cm/ 31 inch tall. Harvest time was after about 9 to 11 weeks. In the end, they gave me around 450 Gr./16 Oz. per M2/ 11ft2.
- Type of High: I find the cerebral invigoration of Amnesia Haze both uplifting and euphoric, though this for me isn't overwhelming at all. I felt quite focused and energized for the first half an hour or so of smoking this weed. And once its body high kicked in, I was able to manage my fatigue, and I ate much better after a stressful day.
- Taste & Smell: I really like the sweet flavors and Earthy aromas of Amnesia Haze. It's fresh and has this citrusy aftertaste, with hints of lemon, menthol and other spices.
- Indoor & Outdoor Yield: I managed to harvest around 800 Gr./ 28 Oz. of sweet-smelling buds from my outdoor plants after 10 weeks. Meanwhile, I normally get 450 Gr./ 16 Oz. per M2/11ft2. from my indoor plants after the same flowering cycle. This for me is quite reasonable, especially considering that this seems to be around the average yield and flowering cycle of the strains on this list.
- Growing Difficulty: I found Amnesia Haze to be a little more challenging to grow both indoors and outdoors than the other Sativa-dominant strains in this roundup. But since I gained more gardening knowledge and growing experience, I now find it fairly simple to grow Amnesia Haze.
I normally experience cotton mouth after the first half an hour or so when taking Amnesia Haze. I feel that this is a pesky side-effect, so I always keep a bottle of water handy each time I smoke this weed. I didn't really enjoy the challenges that I encountered when growing this strain for the first time, but I was able to overcome these drawbacks after my first harvest.
Can be challenging for novice growers
Power Plant Feminized review
Power Plant has 0.5% CBD and 21% THC. It also has a 90% Sativa and 10% Indica blend. This weed has Earthy, woody-smelling buds, which take around 8 to 9 weeks to mature.
Power Plant (feminized) gave me averagely 700 Gr./ 25 Oz. per M2/11ft2 outdoors after 8 to 9 weeks. I just put 2 plants on 1 M2/ 11ft2. That grew to around 220 cm / 87 inch tall. When I tried putting 3 plants per M2 / 11ft2. I noticed it took around 9 weeks for its sweet-smelling buds to mature.
I tried this Sativa-dominant strain indoors as well. Each of my plants grew to an average height of a little less than 120 cm / 47 inch so I put 6 plants on a square meter. And after 9 weeks or so, I got around 450 Gr./ 16 Oz.
This strain for me is among the easiest and quickest ones to grow on this list. Both indoor and outdoor plants grow to manageable heights, making it more straightforward for me to take good care of my plants.
- Type of High: I often experienced a tad stronger mind high after smoking Power Plant, compared to the cerebral invigoration that I get from the other Sativa strains on this list. But I found this quite manageable, especially since I felt energized and focused on positive, creative thoughts while toking. As for its body high, this strain made me feel mellow after the body relaxation effects kicked in, though I didn’t feel weary nor tired.
- Taste & Smell: I liked the sharp, peppery flavor of Power Plant, especially its sweet, fresh aftertaste. As for its earthy, woody aroma, I find this as a common smell among many Sativa and Indica strains, which I am not too fond of.
- Indoor & Outdoor Yield: I find Power Plant's 700 Gr./ 25 Oz. per M2/11ft2 outdoor yield and its 450 Gr./16 Oz. indoor yield to be fair. Especially considering its brief flowering cycle (8 to 9 weeks on average), and because I find this strain quite quick and easy to grow both indoors and outdoors.
- Growing Difficulty: As I mentioned earlier, I consider Power Plant among the quickest and easiest indoor and outdoor Sativa strains to grow. I believe even beginners won't have any difficulties growing these plants.
I sometimes find the cerebral invigoration of Power Plant to be a tad stronger than what I prefer. Also, the mind high usually takes a little longer than half an hour or so before its body relaxation effects kick in. I already felt a bit tired when this happened.
Easy to grow
Provides lots of energy
Dry mouth may occur
Final Thoughts About the Best Sativa Strains in This List
For me, the clear winner is Blue Dream. I really like its sweet blueberry aroma and its fresh, fruity taste. I also enjoy its mind and body high balance as I neither made me feel overwhelmed or too tired once its cerebral invigoration and body relaxation effects kick in. Plus, I find this Sativa strain simple to grow indoors and outdoors.
But if you want more powerful mind invigoration, then you might want to take a closer look at Power Plant. In my experience, you might be able to enjoy a much longer energetic headrush from this weed.
Plus, I find this Sativa strain as the quickest and easiest weed to grow in this roundup, both indoors and outdoors.
Like I said: determining the best Sativa strains primarily depends on your personal preferences. Regardless, I hope you found my experiences useful to help you on your way. What are your best Sativa strains and why? Let me know!
PICKING THE RIGHT STRAIN
We hope this guide helped you pick the right strain for your next growth.
Did you know that you can use Marijuana for many purposes?
We wrote a guide in which you will learn everything you need to know to help you pick your best weed strain(s).
- The difference between Indica, Sativa, Ruderalis & Hybrids
- What is THC, CDB? What are Terpenes?
- Picking the right strain for the right purpose
- Lots More
Learn to pick the best weed strains!
Educated by one of the best breeders in the Netherlands, I chose to combine my passion for writing with the fascinating world of cannabis cultivation. What are the best strains for which occasion, what are the effects, and how to use responsibly? Let me take you on a journey.
Did you like this?
Sign up today and be the first to receive updates and special offers from our breeders.